RV Cable TV
Fuzzy or no picture ...
I run into this problem on perhaps 10% of the RV units that I PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and most times it is
a bad crimping job on the cable connections. When I come across the problem, I simply cut off all the factory
installed connections and crimp on a new connection - this solves most of the problems in short order
Anyway, here's a step by step that you can do to find the glitch ...
- Remove the booster and label each cable so that you know where it attaches to the booster.
- Disconnect all the cables on the booster.
- Disconnect the cable connection on the roof that is attached to the antenna.
- Remove the outside cable mounting plate and disconnect the cable there.
- If you have a second TV outlet in the coach, remove the mounting plate and disconnect that cable too.
- Check for continuity between the center wire and the cable mounting fitting on all disconnected cable ends
- one by one - with an ohm-meter. (You can buy one of these at Radio Shack for under $15.00)
- Replace any connector that shows continuity.
- Re-check that connector - if the meter still shows continuity, replace the other end of that cable.
- Repeat number 7 until all connections are corrected.
- If the problem is not corrected by installing new connections, it is probable that the cable has been
pierced by a screw or staple inside the wall or ceiling. If this is the case, it is wise to run a new cable to
the outlet(if possible).
- Reassemble everything.
This *should* solve the problem 99.99% of the time. I would be interested to know if it doesn't!!!!